Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Open Wonderland

Just wanted to take a few minutes to blog about the virtual world I learned about yesterday through the FLOSS weekly podcast, Open Wonderland. I am not a gamer and I have never spent more then 5 minutes of my day thinking about games or gaming technology. On the other hand, having worked for a virtual company for several years, I find myself intrigued with the possibility of being able to create virtual 3D work environments. As I am told you can do in the popular online game Second Life, you can create an avatar and maps for your workday encounters. It seems very real and there are dynamics that can only be captured by recreating this type of environment or meeting in person. The latter can be rather expensive and time consuming.

I spent 30 minutes yesterday evening and was able to get a small environment setup using Open Wonderland. This will definitely stay on the list of things to investigate. One idea would be to create an AMI with the Open Wonderland server pre-installed and ready to use. Then by executing a command a virtual workplace could be brought online. The attendees would receive a link to the workplace which would launch a Java Webstart application to provide them with entrance.

Several things I haven't looked into yet, sound, land-line connections, and video chat.

No comments: